The Other Services and Personal Care Department in a cruise ship is responsible for providing a range of services and amenities to passengers, such as hairdressing, spa treatments, and fitness facilities. They may also manage on-board shops, photo services, and other leisure activities. The department is responsible for coordinating and scheduling these services to ensure that they are available to passengers throughout the duration of their voyage. They may also work to promote these services to passengers through advertising and promotions.
BEAUTICIANS/ HAIR STYLISTS
As a hair stylist on a cruise ship, the professional is responsible for providing a variety of services to guests, including haircuts, styling, and coloring. They may also work as a skin care specialist, body and detox specialist, or holistic therapist. They will provide facial massages and skin care, perform makeup applications, lash, and brow treatments, and apply wax depilation, body electrical, and mechanical treatments. Additionally, they will shampoo and condition hair and scalp, cut hair using basic techniques, style hair using drying and setting techniques, and change hair color. They will also ensure that the hair salon is kept clean and tidy and that all equipment is properly maintained.
As a massage therapist on a cruise ship, their main responsibility is to provide professional massage and body treatments to guests, including relaxation, sport, and deep tissue massages. They are responsible for maintaining schedules and ensuring that massage equipment and room facilities are properly maintained. In addition to providing massage services, they effectively inform and educate passengers about specific wellness issues and handle passengers’ questions or concerns in a professional and courteous manner. Their goal is to create a relaxing and rejuvenating experience for guests during their cruise.
The Fitness Instructor/ Personal Trainer in a cruise ship must possess a recognized National Certification in personal training and ideally an exercise to music qualification. They are responsible for coaching a variety of fitness classes and supervising the gymnasium. They offer personalized training programs to guests and educate them on various fitness related issues while handling their concerns and questions in a professional and courteous manner. Additionally, they should be knowledgeable about all products and services offered by the ship’s beauty salon/spa division. In case of complaints, they handle them in a polite and professional manner, ensuring guests’ complete satisfaction.
REQUIREMENTS: Certificate of training and several years’ experience. fluent English language skills required.
The photographer on a cruise ship is responsible for taking pictures of guests at various locations both on and off the ship. This includes capturing images at the gangway during embarkation and on port days, on the ship’s pool deck, and during formal nights or around the dining room tables. Experienced photographers may also shoot special events, weddings, and private parties for extra income, and may accompany passengers on land tours to capture their experiences. In addition to taking pictures, the photographer works as a photo retail sales consultant at the ship’s photo gallery and retail photo shop, selling photos, albums, frames, and accessories,
and accepting photo print orders from passengers. They also liaise with the Photo Manager and Assistant Photo Manager to maintain adequate stock levels for both the lab and photo retail shop by regularly restocking.
● Must have excellent command of the English language (both spoken and written)
● Degree or course in photography OR relative experience required.
● Image processing and printing experience is a plus.
● In case not proficient with processing and printing the ship, photographer must demonstrate willingness to learn by sitting regularly in the lab with senior photographers, the Assistant Photo Manager, or the Photo Manger
● The photographer must be passionate for photography, customer service orientated and feeling comfortable in dealing with passengers daily.
GIFT SHOP DEPARTMENT
The Retail Sales/Gift Shop Assistant on a cruise ship is responsible for achieving and exceeding sales goals using various selling techniques, such as add-on selling, cross-selling, and merchandise upgrading. They greet customers, determine their needs, and inform them about current specials and promotions. They must promote high-quality retailing standards, continuously drive maximum sales results, and provide superior guest service. The ability to calculate figures and work in a fast-paced multicultural environment is important.
● Minimum one year of previous retail sales experience
● Excellent communication skills and good command of the English language, knowledge of additional languages is a plus.
● Abilities to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, and ability to work in a fast-paced multicultural environment.
● Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with customers and colleagues as well as to set and accomplish goals, meet deadlines and work under pressure.